Monday, April 4, 2016

Burying carrots in the cellar for winter, Europe style

.

Today is International Carrot Day.
It brings back memories of my wonderful month with an Austrian farming community.
It was October and some of the root vegetables had been harvested and were awaiting further attention in two colorful wheelbarrows. 


Look, a three-fingered carrot!


Ready for longtime storage in the big underground cellar.


But THIS was new and exciting to me (although common knowledge for Europeans)!
They bury the carrots in this sandy ground in the floor of the cool cellar!
The old and true ways of food storage during the winter.
.
(Linking to Our World Tuesday.)
.

10 comments:

  1. So that's how people coped without freezers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eat more carrots than a rabbit, but we really need an International Carrot Day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents grew carrots for many years, but would stock them along with other garden vegetables in the basement freezer, which by winter was always packed full.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There were two choices in Russia before fridges. My family froze the food in the snow outside the house, and this lasted as long as the snow lasted each year. Or they pickled the fruit and vegetables at the height of summer and stored the food in vats all year round. The strangest notion (to me) was pickled watermelon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! I had no idea that was how they kept a root cellar. How interesting. We do LOVE carrots and eat them all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. International Carrot Day ? Wow, since 2003 !
    We stored the carrots in the same way...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Grandmother used to do the same , I remember her burying potatoes in dirt .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I leave my carrots in the ground all winter and harvest as needed. Our cool climate allows them to stay fresh, even if we get a little snow on the ground or freezing temperatures at night. If I take them out they just don't last long enough for me without a root cellar of my own. - Margy

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!