Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Tmol Shilshom, Only Yesterday

.

For the brand new version of the long-running meme ABC Wednesday that begins today, my A is for Agnon.
Shai Agnon, 1888-1970, was the only Israeli to win the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Alongside the walkway of the long Train Track Park in Jerusalem I was delighted to find this clever waist-high sign.
You can read (if you know Hebrew) either the cut out letters in the metal or the shadow of the words on the ground.
The quotation is from Agnon's famous masterpiece Tmol Shilshom, published in 1945.
Just a few years ago the book was translated into English as Only Yesterday.
You can sample some pages of the peculiar style here in Google Books.
.
UPDATE:  More about where this is located:
https://jerusalemhillsdailyphoto.blogspot.co.il/2012/12/park-hamesila-railway-park.html
and
http://worldlandscapearchitect.com/jerusalem-railway-park-tichnun-nof-landscape-architects/

(Linking to signs, signs and old-new ABC Wednesday.)
.

13 comments:

  1. I wish I could read Israeli! Great choice for A -

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...how interesting with the shadows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a creative way to pay tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book looks fascinating. I adore history.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. what an important contribution
    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went and read a synopsis of the book at another site. Sounds like something I'd want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry I can't read Hebrew... it has been on my wish-list for many years, I would love to learn how to read / speak it...

    The place you live in is also on the list for visit-wishes... maybe someday I will travel there

    Thank you for your first entry in the new home of ABC!

    Have a splendid and ♥-warming ABC-day / -week
    Melody (team abcw)
    http://melodymusic.nl/21-a/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shalom Dina, and thank you for sharing about this author. I read the info at the link and am intrigued. I had not heard of him before this. I love how that sign you photographed casts the Hebrew letters upon the ground shaped by light. Almost mystical, if one thinks about it in a certain way. Anyway, I think I shall try to find some of Shai Agnon's stories to read. Nice to see that ABC is still going on after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can buy a copy of the book in English from Amazon .

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could read it! I will follow the link ...thank you for allowed ng me to learn something new today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the way they did that sign with the shadow of the words on the ground.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!