Thursday, March 17, 2016

For Submarine Day, an Australian sub

.

In honor of Submarine Day  let's look at the HMAS Onslow.


The submarine is now part of Australia's National Maritime Museum.


The sub has a lovely view of Sydney.


The Onslow was built in Scotland, commissioned in 1969, and saw service until 1999.
I was brave and went inside, walking mostly alone all along its almost 300 foot length.
In the next days I can show you the claustrophobic quarters.
You can read about some tragic and strange incidents in this submarine's history.
.

7 comments:

  1. That's the sort of thing that would fascinate me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were very brave! There is no way I would go into a hermetically sealed coffin that lives deep underwater for most of its active life.

    Agreed about the great view of Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were brave Dina! I have seen it when we make our annual trips to see family in Sydney but there is noooo way I could go below deck. Looking forward to seeing your adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I visited a couple of submarines, but I didn't like the inside...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems it would be very claustrophobic. I look forward to seeing the inside. I think I do, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Submarine Day? Why not? For Pi Day, our nephew brought over a pie for us. Hmmmm... He should have brought over a submarine sandwich for us today, hunh?

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!