Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Olive oil by the barrel

.

T is for tugging.


Dani, the in-charge of Kibbutz Gezer Olives had just driven two heavy barrels of our fresh oil back from the olive press.


And they had to be off-loaded to the entrance of the kibbutz bomb shelter where the oil would later be bottled.


American volunteer Ashlea took a whiff.


Dani made the taste test.


Ashlea got a capful of the precious fruit of our olive-harvesting labor.


Luke, a WWOOFer from New Zealand, tried it too.


Only I, as reflected in the pure oil, was busy with the camera and mercifully too busy to drink.
.
UPDATE May 2018:  A brief video of the Kiwi volunteer Luke was just published! He talks about his good experience at Kibbutz Gezer.




(Linking to T-day at ABC Wednesday and OurWorld Tuesday.)
.

13 comments:

  1. I've never seen olive oil in such abundant quantity. I use it almost every day, and a barrel would come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was an interesting post, - I will think of it as I tugged my bottle of pure virgin olive oil off the shelf as the grocers.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can't imagine what it's like fresh. things are often different when fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dina , does any of the olive oil get shipped to the US?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I love y'all's comments!

    Alice, no no, there is not enough for export. The Gezer oil is only enough for local consumption.

    See more at http://www.gezerolives.com/olives-for-dummies.html
    and also Who We Are at
    http://www.gezerolives.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I can smell it -- really I can as it is permeating the air here in the land of the Kalamata olive. Harvest is now in full swing with harvest taking place throughout the area. I can also appreciate the weight of those barrels as just the cans are heavy enough for us to grunt and groan when carrying them. And the taste, it is simply like drinking a miracle. Beautiful post, Dina.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never use it... but drinking it? I can not imagine the taste, nor why anyone should do it

    Have a splendid ♥=warming ABC-Wednes-day / -week
    ♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)
    http://melodymusic.nl/21-t

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tasting the new oil is a thing that has to be done, Melody. Everyone should try it at least once in a lifetime. Once was enough for me.

    Here is a story about a taste panel tasting and judging different olive oils in a competition:
    http://www.frangage.com/TastingIsraeliOliveOils.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Olive Oil is just about all I use to cook. I would taste it.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  10. Learned something new. So interesting to see the process and the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm another one who loves olive oil for cooking, but I'll never cook again without thinking of those huge barrels and, of course, the tasting process!
    I also learned something new. Thanks, Dina!
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!