Sunday, December 18, 2011

Of moths and men

.
For today's PsalmChallenge at Daily Athens, here is the dark Psalm 39.
.
To the leader: to Jeduthun. A Psalm of David.
1 I said, ‘I will guard my ways
that I may not sin with my tongue;
I will keep a muzzle on my mouth
as long as the wicked are in my presence.’
2 I was silent and still;
I held my peace to no avail;
my distress grew worse,
3 my heart became hot within me.
While I mused, the fire burned;
then I spoke with my tongue:

4Lord, let me know my end,
and what is the measure of my days;
let me know how fleeting my life is.
5 You have made my days a few handbreadths,
and my lifetime is as nothing in your sight.
Surely everyone stands as a mere breath.
Selah
6 Surely everyone goes about like a shadow.
Surely for nothing they are in turmoil;
they heap up, and do not know who will gather.

7 ‘And now, O Lord, what do I wait for?
My hope is in you.
8 Deliver me from all my transgressions.
Do not make me the scorn of the fool.
9 I am silent; I do not open my mouth,
for it is you who have done it.
10 Remove your stroke from me;
I am worn down by the blows of your hand.

11 ‘You chastise mortals in punishment for sin,
consuming like a moth what is dear to them;
surely everyone is a mere breath.
Selah

12 ‘Hear my prayer, O Lord,
and give ear to my cry;
do not be deaf at my tears;
for I am an alien with you,
a sojourner like all my forebears.


13 Look away from me, that I may hold back,
before I pass away and am gone.
'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.
The psalm in Hebrew, with commentary, is here.

PHOTOS:
1. Ancient and new graves, Tiberias cemetery
2. "Homo sapiens" at the Australian Museum, Sydney
3. Dean at the same moth and butterfly exhibit
.

11 comments:

Robert Geiss said...

A Psalm that made it difficult for me to take any other picture afterwards for the rest of the day.

Returning home its force surely follows me for a much longer time. However, needed I think in the contemporary space of time.

Wishing you a kind Sunday; and many thanks for your kind participation.

Theanne and Baron said...

Excellent illustrations for the Psalm!

Louis la Vache said...

Psalm 39

Kay said...

That is such a sweet and beautiful photo of your adorable grandson.

Spiderdama said...

A psalm difficult to find photo, but you got it! A photo of encouragement in the past..sweet.

Blessed Sunday to you Dina

Sarah said...

Long time since the last time I visited your blog....I just came here to say hi Dina! :)

Dina said...

Sarah? Sarah the architect?! Hello Sarah!!
I'm so glad to see you again. I hope it is well with you and your family. These are difficult times we live in.

VP said...

An interesting choice of images!

JM said...

The 'Homo sapiens' is brilliant! Very clear message!

Sarah said...

Your warm hello gave me a lot of positive Energy :)
Everything is OK...I'm studying Master at university :)

Dina said...

Sarah, your visits always give me a big smile too. That's great that you continue your studies, enjoy it!