Friday, December 18, 2015

Mistletoe, fresh off the tree

.

Since National Geographic published a nice article about mistletoe today on their News site, I figure it's time to blog about my mistletoe experience.
No, mine had nothing to do with kissing under the plant ... in fact I had no idea about these Christmas-time customs or even what mistletoe looked like.
The very last day that I was at the farm community in Austria last month, several of the men went off to the forest to cut some mistletoe off the trees.


Bruder Fritz, who founded the lay Franciscan commune in 1984, was kind enough to show me a cluster and explain about it.
Especially that the white berries are poisonous!


It is a parasite and  "it keeps that lively green color by stealing water and soil minerals from its host tree," as the National Geographic says. 
The article has nice photos of clusters in a tree and of various species and of birds eating the berries.  
And the surprising news is
There’s also evidence to suggest that some species of mistletoe can be used in treating cancer—something that people have actually used it for since the 1920s. Doctors today can prescribe mistletoe in Europe. And at Johns Hopkins’ School of Medicine, doctors are performing the first rigorous, I.V. study of mistletoe’s effects on cancer patients in the U.S.
 Here is a funny tidbit from the Oxford Dictionaries blog:
The custom [of Christmas kisses] seems to be restricted to England and the USA. I’ve asked friends from Germany, Austria, France, Belgium, Bulgaria, Spain, and even from Scotland and Ireland. Bavarians bring mistletoe into their homes and put it in vases but none of my fellow Europeans came across kissing under the mistletoe as children. Their countries know of the custom now, but from Hollywood, and they think of it as an English or American eccentricity. 
UPDATE: Make sure to read readers' input in the comments.  All kinds of interesting things coming in from USA, Canada, and Europe!
UPDATE Dec. 24: 
BBC earth just published about mistletoe, including this interesting info about a good plant-animal symbiosis: 
Pairs of mistle thrushes will often set up a territory around individual trees and defend their stock of berries. But mistle thrushes are not actually very efficient at distributing mistletoe seeds. They eat the berries whole, defecating a sticky mix of pulp and seed half an hour later, when the birds are likely to have moved on.
Much more efficient are blackcaps. These little birds eat the skin and pulp of the berry, but discard the sticky seed first, wiping it off their beaks against the bark of the tree. This is perfect for the mistletoe, as the seed is placed firmly against the branch ready for germination.
Interestingly, in recent years we’ve seen many more blackcaps migrating to Britain over winter, and this could be beneficial for mistletoe.
There is evidence that mistletoe is increasing in some areas and some of this could be down to blackcap activity, although this is likely to be a combination of factors, including better protection of the ancient apple orchards that are the most important habitat for mistletoe.
.

8 comments:

  1. I can't recall ever seeing it myself, come to think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do have our eccentricities, don't we!! I wonder how that kissing thing got started. I've known about it since I was a little girl. Interesting. There is some dim thought in my mind that the Druids thought mistletoe was a sacred plant . . . guess I should do some googling and find out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure when I heard of this, but I doubt my granddad learned it from American movies...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad ,when we were small went in the woods and would shoot it down from the trees with his rifle. Had to be a good shot. You don't see it much any more.But guess we don't get out in the woods to look now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just realized I had no idea what Mistletoe really is as I actually thought it was something else. Thanks, Dian!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The trees are full of mistletoe here and I would love to be able to climb and get some. Unfortunately, it's always too high up and the one that is sold costs a fortune...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw a lot of them in Georgia, warmer climate and easy access to trees juices. Looks beautiful. My Georgians did not know the name of the plant and told me it started capturing trees several years ago.
    Happy Holidays, Dina!

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!