Sunday, July 31, 2016

Our skyline in the middle of nowhere

.

City Daily Photo bloggers are presenting "My city's skyline" for today's Theme Day.

"City" is kind of a big word for my town.
Meitar has only ca. 8,500 residents.
Construction began in 1984 on the yishuv kehillati, our planned community; and it continues to expand, one neighborhood at a time.
The photo above is taken from the center, looking toward the Northern Neighborhood.
Just north of the planted forest, just across the Green Line, are the Southern Hebron Hills in the West Bank.
 Geographically Meitar is on the transition area where the Negev Desert meets the Hebron Hills.


A shot of the east edge of town, taken from the "desert" that surrounds us.
I like to hike out here in the lonely hills.
All these photos (which you can enlarge greatly) are from the half-year dry season; in the winter when rain comes, it all looks a lot greener. 


Just after twilight the perimeter lights go on.
They share poles with the Sabbath eruv wire.
We don't have a fence.
This photo is looking west, toward the Mediterranean Sea and the Gaza Strip.
Less than 60 kilometers to Gaza, not so far as the crow  as the rocket flies.
.

12 comments:

  1. Love the photos of the landscape because it is such a pleasant change to the tall buildings of so many skylines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, wish I had a similar skyline!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely to see the homes tucked into the landscape. Beautiful views - especially the first two photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the greenery surrounding your city!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your skyline Dina, the history in your part of the work outweighs skyscrapers any day. I must tell you that although things are nice and green here right at the moment, WA has had the least rainfall of the whole continent, I think we are going to be in for very strict restrictions during the long hot summer ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a beautiful setting and a wonderful skyline. I too would like hiking in those hills.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let's pray there will be no rockets flying in your direction! It's a lovely skyline with the rolling hills and patches of green. I may have said this before, but the topography is very similar to much of Southern California, even down to the brown hills that are briefly green during the so-called rainy season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No matter the size of your place, you managed to capture some beautiful vistas!
    Hugs,
    M. xox

    I think of you every time I am at or near the Belvedere. And I am there OFTEN. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful look at your part of the world! I so love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love where you live Dina So much history about the land and people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photos of your town, Dina, I can't believe that the construction began only in 1984...

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!