Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Old salt

On the map, the Dead Sea is just 25 kilometers/15 miles east of Jerusalem. But you have to descend from the heights of Jerusalem way down to the Great Rift Valley. The surface of the lake is 241 meters below sea level.
The photo was taken by daughter Naomi from her hotel room.

In Hebrew Yam HaMelach means the Sea of Salt.
Blogger-friend Meead got me thinking about salt today. He just posted an incredible photo of one of the six "salt-mummies" discovered recently in Iran. The mummy is 1,700 years old and you can see his long white hair and beard. I never heard of such a thing! Go have a look!
.
Hmmm, I wonder what surprising treasures are hidden in and around the Salty Sea, waiting to be discovered. . . .

10 comments:

  1. Funny (as a child in Israel) the story that I always connected with our trips to the Dead Sea is the that of Lot's wife turning into salt... I'd look out for human size pillars of salt expecting it to be Lot's wife frozen in time (lol... such childish fancies)! Anyway, it's lovely to be reminded of the Dead Sea - lots of many special memories attached to trips there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posts. I have a friend who is studying Hebrew in Jerusalem and I wonder if he sees the same things you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You weave a wonder today!
    Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Dead Sea has always fascinated me, even as a child. I hope that someday I will actually be able to see it in person.

    Please tell your daughter thank you for such a beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing to see a beach there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fascination of the past that he appear to our eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I missed a couple of posts of you, because I was so busy painting LOL , but now I'm catching up. I love archeology - do you belong to a club or something? Or, are you volunteering?
    I read the post of your friend about the salt mummies. A question I have is why there haven't been salt mummies found in the area of the Dead Sea?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I checked out that salt fellow. It really is incredible to think that person is 1,700 years old. Wow! The Dead Sea is pretty darn awesome. Have you gone in?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I vision of Paradise, no ?
    Hey ! Dina, really no need to go and search treasures hidden around the Salty Sea, you get enough to find in Jerusalem !
    Have a nice week-end Dina.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow. Now I know how it looks like.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!