Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Culture war on schoolbags

.

Big displays of schoolbags and pencil cases in the malls remind us that Israeli kids will soon be heading back to school.
Not that they had a real summer vacation this year, what with the war and all.
Will the fighting, which started up again last night,  be over by September 1?
If not, parents will not be willing to send their kids back  to the many unfortified school buildings here in the South.

If you enlarge the photo you can find Hello Kitty and superheros and other foreign themes.
(Oh, and also find the arrow pointing to the mall's protected area.)
I read here that one supermarket chain started promoting book bags featuring characters from beloved old Israeli children's literature instead.
The article calls it Culture War.
Who will win, you reckon? 

Photo from Israel21c

.
UPDATE Aug. 21:   http://www.timesofisrael.com/despite-rockets-schools-to-open-september-1-ministry-says/
.

10 comments:

  1. Would be nice to see Kina Nechama the flea or Cremer the cat from Meir Shalev's lovely israeli childrens books. But I guess this is not going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anumorchy, yes, it would.
    The article did say, with a wink, that HaKina Nechama would not be put on shampoo bottles, for obvious reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you think about the fact that hello kitty has no mouth ? You can see little boys with kippas showing spiderman or lucky luke. This is something I just cannot understand.
    Mira

    ReplyDelete
  4. This situation cannot go on indefinitely. What is occurring is an education in itself!


    Stay safe, keep smiling!


    Shalom from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

    ReplyDelete
  5. Took me a bit to find the arrow, but lo and behold, there it is.

    I don't recall really going for something with cartoons or other paraphenalia on it when I was a kid, getting supplies or clothing. These days if I want a backpack, I'm more concerned with the colour and durability.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Kitty and all the superheroes will will this war. As for the real one...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Children should be in school buildings absolutely safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It wasn't so different when my son was a kid: only different characters!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dina,
    Thank you so much for your lovely comment on my granddaughter's guest post. I believe that she is out school shopping and I'm sure she will write a reply on her return. Stay safe. Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH gracious! Hello Kitty in Israel too? KC and Tiffany both love Hello Kitty and I don't understand the fascination.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!