Wednesday, August 26, 2015

.

An unusual (to me) tree on the street where my daughter lives, in the northern suburbs of Sydney.


  Melaleuca quinquenervia is commonly known as the broad-leaved paperbark, broad-leaved tea tree or simply paperbark or tea tree in Australia, and as punk tree in the United States.


Besides being the source of tea tree oil, the tree has many uses, especially to aboriginal Australians.  See Uses and Cultivation in Wikipedia.

It is regarded by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) as an invasive weed in Florida where it was introduced to drain swamps.
.

10 comments:

  1. Strange tree, but I like it much more than pythons...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of photo ops here. I like the knotted base.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very interesting, I have used tea tree oil before.
    Thanks , love seeing about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting trees and different fro European ones

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back to Sydney, a real change from the heat. Although winter here not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tree. I put the leaves in muslin bags and leave them in cupboards and drawers for freshness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting photos of Australia - the tree and flowers and python skin. Australia has some of the most interesting animals in the world, like platypuses, and I think also the largest number of poisonous creatures. Looking for ward to more of your photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A most useful tree. I use that oil in a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!