Monday, December 5, 2016

Der Sonnenhof, built in 1799

.
Here are some views of Sonnenhof, "the House of Silence [or: of Stillness]," where I was welcomed for several days by the six Grandchamp Sisters who live there.
It is a branch of the Community of Grandchamp, in the German-speaking part of Switzerland.

 
The back of the house.


The house was built in 1799.
See all about it at the sisters' website!

Seen from afar, alone on the hill.
It is indeed a quiet and secluded place, very special.


A sister rings the bell four times per day as a call to prayer.


The covered cloister leads to the chapel.


The view from the front door.  Below is the village of Gelterkinden.


Guests who come for retreats leave their shoes at the door.


The entrance, with mountains reflected.


Another bell.
Bells are important in monastic life as a call to prayer and meals.
They mark the rhythm of the daily life.


A vine in winter on the wall.
.
See my previous posts about Sonnenhof and about Grandchamp, where I am volunteering for two months.
.
(Linking to Our World Tuesday.)
.

5 comments:

  1. How are you managing with the silence? Coping well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Dina. This really gives a feel for what it's like. I love the picture of the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hels, I do very well with silence. Even the silent meals are good for me. I was not part of the guests' silent spiritual retreat, however, so while working in the kitchen I had plenty of chances to talk to my nun friends. We also made a nice kabbalat Shabbat together on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful place to be staying in Dina

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!