Friday, August 24, 2012

The umbrellas of Ramadan

.
My two visitors and I went up to the top of the Mount of Olives for the panoramic view!
There were even a few clouds on the western horizon for SkyWatch Friday.
.
It was the third and last day of Id il Fitr, the Muslim holiday which closes the month of Ramadan.

This was my first time to see the many rows of folded sun umbrellas and big black sun shades near Al Aksa mosque on Haram ash-Sharif [the Temple Mount].
I assume they had been added to shelter the hundreds of thousands of Muslims who came there to pray from the burning sun.
.
Al Arabiya News says that this year over two million came to the Old City for Ramadan, from 48 countries. That can't be right, two million, but it seemed like it in the streets.
.
(If you click on the photo, and then click once again, it will be big enough for you to find the umbrellas.)
.

15 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful view and even better when I enlarged it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic view! Love the different layers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, oh my, once upon a time, 38 years ago this month, I walked down the Mt. of Olives through that cemetery and past that Pillar of Absolom I can see in your photo and along that road (it was a dirt road then) off to the left of your photo and into Silwan Village...

    This is a beautiful view, thank you! And thank you for the memories too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a fantastic panorama, and it does look rather hot.
    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems as if the city remains to be the centre of the world. A wonderful sight indeed. Please have a good Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is certainly an amazing view. I'll bet your guests are having a fabulous time. You must be exhausted though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just above the Solomon's Stables, if I remember well...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Sort of like looking for Waldo. hahahaha! Hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ajaja, I clicked, but have poor eyesight.
    However, the picture is so beautiful and gives me good memories:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Friends, I forget that it might be hard to find if one does not know the layout of the Temple Mount.
    The white patch just inside the southeast corner of the wall (the photo's left) is the group of folded umbrellas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, if anyone has any questions about Israeli officials being overly paranoid, allowing two million devout Muslims in over a relatively short period of time should serve as sufficient proof of the fact that they are not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It hardly looks enough to shelter 2 million pilgrims, though...

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!