Saturday, June 8, 2013

Quail are funny

.

One evening I decided to walk home from Hadassah hospital not on the road, but  down on the wild path.
Almost no one ever walks there. 
That is why a family of quail was so surprised to see me.
The mama, followed by her three little ones, ran  in single file fast as they could down the trail and ducked into some bushes to hide.  

I  opened the lens, walked after them, and came to the brush next to the scarp where they had to be, and looked around.
The camouflage was so good and the little birds were so brave not to move, that I could not find them. 

Hoping to get a snapshot for Camera Critters I stomped my foot and shouted "Hey slav!" (slav being Hebrew for quail, like in the Bible stories about them).

Sure enough, with a noisy fluttering of wings all four rose to the air right next to me!
Fun!
Enlarge the photo and you can find all four in flight. 
.

7 comments:

  1. Cool sighting of the quail family! Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see that other nice birds still exist beyond my world of squeaky gulls and dirty pigeons...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice! I like to hunt for birds with my camera.
    I think it is the hospital in the background..

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were quick to get all of them in flight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good that you had your camera ready. Nice capture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The road less travelled makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mama and babies! I guess you scared them.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!