Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cheese wheels on wheels

Thousands of shekels are riding on these little blue wheels. Click on the photo and read the writing on the rind. Parmigiano-Reggiano 2006 !
The stack of huge cheese wheels caught my eye and I entered the fancy cheese and wine store in the shuk Mahaneh Yehuda market. Photos were all I got, the rest was way too expensive.
They offer cheeses from around the world in a mind-boggling variety. It is exciting just to see them.

Cheesemaking is such an art and such hard and satisfying work. This I know from working a year and a half in the cheese dairy of a sheep farm. Cheese, yogurt, and just plain rich milk from sheep are the best!

16 comments:

richies said...

Wow! I wish we had more cheese choices.

Webradio said...

Bonsoir Dina...

Toujours des photos surprenantes...

Reader Wil said...

Delicious! I am fond of cheese, all kind of cheese. What a shop! One of my ex pupils sells cheese at the market. Goat's cheese,mature or semi mature cheese, Brie, Paturain and many other French cheeses. I teased him, saying that he was the best cheese trader of all the Netherlands.

Shimmy Mom said...

That looks like my husbands dream land. He loves nice cheeses. We need a store like that around here.
*hugs*

Sherry said...

Wow, I have never seen so much cheese in one place!

Photo Cache said...

yummy! someone better hand me a cracker right now. my mouth is watering.

Michelle's Rambling Woods said...

I love cheese..therefore I love to see that cheese shop...

Louise said...

YUM!!! What an exciting place to visit!

Kay said...

Gracious! That's a whole lot of cheese! I'm glad to see you have so many choices available to you.

MEDITERRANEAN KIWI said...

fantastic shot - love the food aspect of your blog!

evlahos said...

this is my favorite place inside of a super market

Sara N said...

Wow!It would be intersting to see them from near!
We have just few kind of chees here.My grand ma sometimes makes chees in the home.They are unique and yammy.

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

My downfall! There's a shop in Manhattan very similar to this one to satisfy my cravings for cheese other than swiss and gouda. Salivating photos, Dina! Must have breakfast; my usual, yogurt, the mircale food!

Luiz Ramos said...

Beautiful work, cheese production.

Please, visit my blog. You have an Award there.

Kris said...

I could easily eat one of these a day.

ichandrae said...

Beautiful Dina,
Wow you worked in a cheese factory. Wow you are so in touch with the earth and the sky. You amaze me.
Wow what an extensive selling of cheese.I have never seen a store with that much cheese variety in my canadian city.

shalom.