Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Golem

.
G is for Golem.
No, not the famous Golem of Prague (but DO see a fascinating summary of the legend here).
.
Jerusalem's "Golem" was created in 1973 in the Kiryat Hayovel neighborhood by sculptress Niki de Saint Phalle as a gift to the children of Jerusalem.
A UC San Diego website says that de Saint Phalle (1930-2002) "is best known for her oversized figures which embrace contradictory qualities such as good and evil, modern and primitive, sacred and profane, play and terror."

But no one calls it Golem.
We call it HaMifletset, Hebrew for "the monster."
It is a landmark.
So you can hear "Driver, does this bus reach the monster?" or "Go straight-straight then turn right at the monster."
.
A certain guide would always quip to his tourists that, because of its many frightening tongues, it is nicknamed "The Mother-in-Law."
Not true.
.
The sheer size of the cavernous slide can be frightening the first time a little boy sees it.
But a few weeks into his visit in Israel my brave grandson asked to stop at this park again and to go up the stairs you see here above and then slide down the steep slide.
Yay Dean!
.
In July signs go up in the neighborhood inviting folks to a birthday party for the Mifletset.
Don't you love that idea?!

Hope you will visit other bloggers showing off their Gs today at ABC Wednesday
and especially my friend at her wondrous From a Thin Place.
.

22 comments:

  1. Wow!
    It is indeed HUGE!
    Thanks so much,
    Dx

    Happy ABC Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew golem'legend and I love the style of Niki de saint-Phalle ,( on my blog, there are some of their sculptures )
    Great "G"
    Miss Yves

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Dina,I'll seek the links for you
    Miss Yves

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the birthday party idea. He is a unique creature isn't he, but it's so much fun to have crazy landmarks like that around. That is a great G.
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one huge monster. I can see how little ones would be a bit hesitant.
    Very interesting and a great choice for G.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good joke about the mother in law - a good many greek jokes about her too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's sooo cool.
    my boys would love a go on that...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I quite like it. Very cute in a monstrous kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a unique G post and photo for ABC Wednesday - letter G.

    Bear((( )))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know my grandson would LOVE to go down that slide, too! Great post for our G day! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. GOSH! That is one Crazy Huge Golem! It can be a little scary at first but then after a bit, kind of fun!! I'd be all over it!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is scary looking! I'd have to come at it from behind! : D

    ReplyDelete
  13. got here via a link from a friend's blog and i can't help but comment on the interesting posts you made here and i will definitely come back to read more. take care and GOD bless. :)

    nice G and fit for the theme. great job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. a monster in pay of children. very unique!!wonderful place must be

    ReplyDelete
  15. it's the most colorful goelm that i've seen. lol. indeed children might be afraid at first but it surely is fun when they start playing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The golem is like the huge trolls in Norway! There is even a restaurant with an enormous troll and children love to go there for a party too. Very impressive creature this golem and the legend is interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What fun, and artistic expression..I can se where someone might use, ' Mother in laws tongue..'

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic post, Dina!
    You're a real touristic guide for us in our virtual trip in Israel.
    A precious guide who know many language, and so much details about daily life to share.
    I like the Monster. As much as kids love it. Mother In Law, you make me laugh! because I haven't any of my children married yet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is wonderful Dina, I always loved passing by the monster. Never stopped, guess I'll have to return for some unfinished business.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a neat landmark! Bet the slide is fun. And I love the B-day part too.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!