Thursday, June 25, 2009

Gilad Awareness Day

Exactly three years ago our soldier Gilad Schalit was kidnapped when Hamas made a cross-border raid from Gaza into southern Israel. He was 19 then.

Support for his family and public pressure for his release take many forms, like this motorcyclist's banner.
For the story on the protest tent in Jerusalem please see my earlier post.

At the tender age of eleven, Gilad wrote a story in Hebrew about a shark and a fish who strike up an unlikely friendship and learn to live together despite their differences. When the Shark and the Fish First Met has been published as a book.
Do you have three minutes? Then you can hear the whole book, with its message of peace, being read by children around the world, in many languages. On YouTube.
And please hope and/or pray that Gilad will soon be returned, alive, to his family, before another year passes . . . .
.

8 comments:

  1. Gilad and his family will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will also most certainly keep him in my thoughts and prayers. This is so sad. It's good that you are keeping his story alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent all day tweeting for #Gilad. Got a little work done in between. I hope at least a few people are made aware of his captivity that didn't know before. Thank you for this post.

    May we hear some good news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for posting this Dina. Today's front page of Maariv includes letters Gilad's parents wrote to Gilad during the last 3 years: "we trust that people that got you also have families and won't cause you harm", "1y ago when I drove you by to the station <...> was the last time I saw you", "for 900 days we wake up for a morning without a light"... May God listen to our prayers for Gilad's return home, alive and well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here in Italy we've had information by the tv and radio news about Gilad. I really hope to hear soon good news about him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Dina for drawing our attention to this story. It's great that a child could write this. I pray and hope that he soon will be released and that the shark and the fish can play together in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh ! Yes Dina, I remember him. Particularly because he is half french. During the meeting between Netanyahou and our Président, French news TV told us that they spoke together about Gilad's release. I'm confident about his release.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!