Monday, March 14, 2011

Damascus Gate under wraps

.
For today's That's My World walk, let's go see what's up with the Damascus Gate.

It's under wraps!
.
The Old City wall and its gates were built in the 1530s by the Turkish sultan.
So from time to time they need some attention.
.
We have seen how Zion Gate was refurbished recently and then how Jaffa Gate and Herod's Gate were fixed up and rededicated.
.
It looks like it's now the turn of Damascus Gate, in my opinion the gate most beautiful.
.

12 comments:

Winchester Daily Photos said...

The gate looks quite clean in your other photo. Will be interesting to see it when they've finished.

Rob and Mandy said...

I do agree with you! And I love the cafes just behind, on the street going up to the Austrian Hospice

Anonymous said...

Your Aloha and shalom from your own embattled isle means a lot. Now I know a little of the courage of
Israelis! Thankyou Dina


cloudia

Reader Wil said...

So all the gates are being restored. That must be very interesting to see old Jerusalem.

Ann said...

I took some under wraps photo too on Sunday. It was a new building, and the nets were yellow for my Yellow mellow post.

Francisca said...

Can't wait to see it when it's done.

ρομπερτ said...

Thank you for this interesting walk.

Please have a good Tuesday.

daily athens

Kay L. Davies said...

I am looking forward to seeing it when it is finished, Dina.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

J Bar said...

Interesting.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Petrea said...

It amazes me sometimes that these hallowed places, places I've heard of all my life, places that seem to come almost from myth, are so real as to be part of the everyday for those living in Jerusalem. These pictures really bring that home.

VP said...

I spent a lot of time looking at the people coming and going through the Damascus Gate...

Kay said...

It will be wonderful to see the transformation.