Thursday, January 7, 2010

Coptic Orthodox

.
Today is Russian Orthodox Christmas.
I was planning to post pictures of the big and beautiful Russian Orthodox monastery in Ein Kerem.
But then I read the so very sad news that seven men were gunned down outside the Coptic church right after Christmas Eve Midnight Mass last night in southern Egypt.

In memory of them I give you whatever photos I have of the Coptic Orthodox Church in Jerusalem.

The Copts have a presence in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.

You can see their priests and the faithful in this celebration of Palm Sunday 2007.

Since the 13th century the Coptic Patriarch of Alexandria has been represented in Jerusalem by a resident archbishop.

They seem to have a nunnery in the Old City.
Slaying the dragon.
At the entrance to the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate.
I think this was on Via Dolorosa Street.
( The signs at the far left are obviously not connected to the Patriarchate. )
.
The only statistics I can find say that in 2001 the small community numbered just over 1,000 members, in Jerusalem, Bethlehem, and Nazareth.
I get the impression that Israel is the only country in the Middle East where the Coptic Christians have religious freedom and security.
I wish them well on their Christmas Day and always.
.

9 comments:

  1. These photos are so exotic! But then all of Israel is exotic and colourful! Your post is very interesting as usual!
    Shabbat Shalom, Dina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read about the gunning down in Egypt - scary!!!!! I also wish the Coptic Christians well on their Christmas day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting and fine images of the celebration and of the building, Dina.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You was right to change your post. I can't agree more with your last sentence about religious freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Dina, I returned for a view of the Russian Orthodox monastery but I see your magnificent sensitive photography here used as a prayer for the men slayen in Egypt.

    Another beautiful presentation.

    I don't think it is disrespectful to add though a merry ukrainian christmas.Maybe you will show us this monastery another time.

    Speaking of gifts yesterday thankyou for the gifts of your work!They are outstanding.

    I would like to see this blog extended as far as possible and it must be spiritually enriching to share here but maybe someday you will print a book for Israel and beyond!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos, Dina. It always saddens me when I hear of people killing others in the name of religion. Any religion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are absolutely incredible and captures the beautiful and serious ceremony. How sad about the shootings. Will there never be peace?

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!