Tuesday, April 23, 2013

An amazing historical video for St. George's Day!

.

 City Daily Photo group is having a Theme Day on the subject of England's St. George's Day, which is today.
See how other bloggers illustrated the day at the CDP website.

St. George's Cathedral may be the closest thing we have to an old English church in Jerusalem.

Dedicated in 1898, the Cathedral of St. George the Martyr, mother church of the Anglican/Episcopal Diocese of Jerusalem, is home to both an Arabic-speaking and an English-speaking congregation.
It is on Nablus Road in east Jerusalem.
Enlarge the photo and see what's atop the bell tower.  : )
The  interior of the church is in my earlier posts about the organ and about the British symbols; and there's one about the attached guesthouse.
.
But what I really really want you to see is this amazing little  96-year-old movie of British General Allenby walking into the Old City through  Jaffa Gate to the stairs of the Citadel on December 11, 1917!
.
There he accepted the Turkish surrender of Jerusalem, ending 400 years of Ottoman rule in the Holy Land.
At the 1 minute mark you even see Lawrence of Arabia! 
Then the troops marched down Jaffa Street in the New City. 

The music of the video is the rousing hymn  sung in England especially on St. George's Day:
"And did those feet in ancient time" also called "Jerusalem" --which is an amazing story in itself! 
See the words here.   
Did Jesus really set foot in England?! 
.
.
(Linking to Whimsical Windows, Delirious Doors meme.)
.

22 comments:

  1. Set foot in England? God is everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. William Blake's poem:

    And did those feet in ancient time.
    Walk upon England's mountains green:
    And was the holy Lamb of God,
    On England's pleasant pastures seen!

    And did the Countenance Divine,
    Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
    And was Jerusalem builded here,
    Among these dark Satanic Mills?

    Bring me my Bow of burning gold;
    Bring me my Arrows of desire:
    Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
    Bring me my Chariot of fire!

    I will not cease from Mental Fight,
    Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand:
    Till we have built Jerusalem,
    In England's green & pleasant Land.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing footage, no pun intended with the hymn...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The video is marvelous as is your posting for today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps satellite transmissions are the dragons of today.....

    Sunshine Coast Daily Photo - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very important and interesting. Thanks for sharing it !

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great film and that church in your picture is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This church must really stand out in jerusalem for the different architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That Lawrence of Arabia was kind of a little guy.

    May have been the end of the Ottoman Empire but yesterday was the start of the 98 year anniversary of the Armenian genocide. Every year the Armenians march on the streets of Hollywood in remembrance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post, Dina! Thank you for the video and for your explanations too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting video! Which person was Lawrence of Arabia - I couldn't tell. I saw the movie about him long ago but I didn't really understand the politics and history of what was happening in it then.

    I like that song from Blake's poem. There's even an Emerson, Lake and Palmer version ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Friends, thanks for all your witty and/or pithy comments!

    PA, yes, the Jerusalem Armenians also had ceremonies in their churches and seminaries marking the genocide.

    Crystal, I found the song (although I don't know the group, shame) at
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN11bI1_sZo Thanks!

    Lawrence is the short officer to whom tall Allenby speaks by bending down to him. (starting at minute 1:01)
    It is only in recent years that I start to understand the events in the movie "Lawrence of Arabia," after living here in the region.
    Did you know, Peter O'Toole taught the Bedouin to use foam rubber with the camel saddles for a bearable ride through Wadi Rum.
    :)


    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't believe Jesus was ever in England or in any other European country, but
    I love the music of Jerusalem and the poem of William Blake.
    Thanks for this post. Shabbat shalom.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, thanks, Dina. The real Lawrence looks so different than he did in the movie with his robes. Interesting the effect a single person can have on events.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not an architectural style I would have connected with Jerusalem, but given Jerusalem's history, I shouldn't have been surprised. Satellite dishes are not something I would have expected on top of a cathedral either. The video is an amazing find!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glorious! I like the photo of the church very much, but I was floored by the video. An what else byt Parry's hymn could have accompanied it? Wonderful realisation of the theme!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The satellite dishes are a funny addition, good eye :)

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!