Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Celebrating Independence Day via Internet TV

.

Nuts!
That's what I said today when the Independence Day Air Force fly-over was cancelled for Jerusalem.
We had such heavy winds and cloud cover and only 15 degrees C.
The rest of the country had better weather and did get to see the planes, however.
At least I have my dramatic photos of the planes from a year ago. 

So for ABC Wednesday N is for nuts, but for Nature too.
Some 1.3 million Israelis flocked to parks and forests today to barbeque and celebrate.

For me, N is also for nachat,  that special feeling of being proud of those you love.
We had so much of nachat over these two days, the Day of Remembrance and then our 65th Independence Day.
First, the twelve torches that were lit on Mt. Herzl by 14 Israelis who have done much (as I wrote in yesterday's post). 
Then the 120 outstanding young soldiers who were honored at the official residence of President Peres this morning.
To see their bright faces and to hear some of their stories of service and attitude made me kvell (to feel overflowing nachat), as if I were their mother.
Actually we all feel that  all the soldiers are our children.

Then at noon youth from all over the world competed in the annual Bible contest.
So young yet they know the Tanach so well.

And tonight I watched the awarding of the Israel Prizes to the older scholars and teachers and researchers and builders of our country.

So many citizens who have given so much to our people. 
So inspiring.   God bless them!
.

10 comments:

  1. It's very inspiring to read all your writing about Israel.
    You Israelis are so good to appreciate each other in all respects. We have something to learn up here in the north..

    Happy independence day yesterday!
    I was so proud and happy when I got home from work yesterday and saw my Israeli flag blowing in the wind and showed the whole world (or my street) that I love Israel:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fascinating, informative post! Love the joy in your spirit for your home city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a NICE day despite the disappointments.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  4. So inspiring and There must be so much celebration for your Independence Day. 65 years...Congratulations...
    I do love your country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Independence Day, Dina! You have had great celebrations these past few days. Do you go to Jerusalem in the evening as well?
    I wish Israel a long and happy existence. For ever, so long as the earth exists.
    Wil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pride and love... It's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know so many using the word "kvell" casually, but did not know it was one further form of nachat. I learned a new word - thank you! Very inspiring "N" post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Celebrating nuts and INDEPENDANCE. Delicious combo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shame about the cloud cover but nice photos from lat year. I can only dream of 15 degrees at the moment, winter is hanging on.
    Joy - ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you all had such a wonderful celebration. Sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!