Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Long live yeast!

.

L is for let's get back to liking leavening!

Passover week, lacking bread, cake, and anything that ever came near leavening, ended last night.
Matza is nice, but not for more than a week. 
I didn't get to our village grocery shop in time this morning--all the fresh bread, rolls, and pitas had been grabbed by bread-starved Israelites.

No bread, no problem.  Let them eat cake!
My nun neighbors had received this special cake in the mail, from Europe, for Easter.
Luckily they saved a slice for me. 

I learned that it is a colomba di Pasqua, a dove-shaped Easter cake that is traditional in Italy.
Inside it looks and tastes like panettone, the Italian Christmas cake.
So good!
.
(Linking to L day at ABC Wednesday.)
.

16 comments:

  1. Yeah, I never knew about Easter cakes till I saw one on a blog yesterday! Hope you had a great Passover:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks quite delicious. I love making yeast breads. Made Hot Cross Buns for Good Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake does look delicious.
    It's fun to see the traditions from so many different countries.
    Thanks for commenting on my blog.
    We definitely "fed the lambs". It was a fabulous experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeast is a great historical, and current, entity!

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spanish Easter cakes are chocolate-intensive!

    L is for...

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Matza is nice, but not for more than a week". Hmmm I eat just enough on the seder nights to fulfil my obligations, but no matza voluntarily, THANKS! It cuts both corners of my mouth, tastes like drek, ruins the gum reion where the wisdom teeth were removed and causes constipation.

    We are not big bread or cake eaters, but immediately after the end of the 8 days, we were rummaging through the freezer for old bagels :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hels, LOL Thanks for this candid confession! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. it looks very delicious...
    great shot !

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I read this straight after having eaten dinner!!! It isn't fair :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to chuckle! Yes, leavening makes for some delicious bread and cakes and is hard to leave for that week, I am sure! How nice of your nun friends to save you a slice of cake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, our colomba is as good as the panettone! Too bad the supermarkets rationalized their orders: until a few years ago you could buy quite cheaply those left on the shelf after the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Easter cake! That looks delicious! I never heard about this tradition, but it's a good one.this year I had no matze, as I eat very little bread. But I like matze with butter and jam or marmalade.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you got to try that delicious cake, Dina. Granted, I've always enjoyed matzas.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!