Sunday, July 25, 2010

The whole world is a narrow bridge

.
A narrow bridge over the flowing spring-fed waters of Ein Gedi,
.
Back in the 18th century, mystic Rabbi Nachman of Breslov taught
"Know! A person needs to cross a very narrow bridge, but the most important thing is not to be afraid."

And till today we sing the song:

The whole world
is a very narrow bridge
a very narrow bridge
a very narrow bridge
. . .
And the main thing to recall
is not to be afraid,
not to be afraid at all.

In Hebrew:

Kol ha'olam kulo
Gesher tsar me'od
Gesher tsar me'od
Gesher tsar me'od -

Kol ha'olam kulo
Gesher tsar me'od
Gesher tsar me'od -

Veha'ikar - veha'ikar
Lo lefached -
lo lefached klal.

Veha'ikar - veha'ikar
lo lefached klal.

If you'd like to get swept up in the enthusiasm of the singing, here is a little video on YouTube.
.

16 comments:

  1. Such a sweet little bridge. I know what I'll be humming the rest of the day :).

    -----------------------------------
    My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post with the song. :0
    That is one cute little bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to hear how the song is sung! Very small but charming bridge :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting thought, the whole world is a narrow bridge. But to where? Yes, not to be afraid is the trick, isn't it. Very fitting photo for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ta photo avec ce petit pont de bois me fait pensee a cette chanson ;O)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubEPBx0VOMo

    bon dimanche ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, we do need to cross narrow bridges but this one isn't frightening, it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dina you are brilliant. If only I could get my local Greensboro Daily Photo viewers to share as much reflection and insight into our posts as you do!!!

    I'm so glad you added to your arsenal of guides to Jerusalem and that you are taking so many wonderful photos like this one. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favorite places in Israel. I did a short stint at the kibbutz in Ein Gedi.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful contribution to Sunday Bridges, Dina. You always pack so much meaning into such little space. This is another of your jewels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I checked ou the rousing rendition...
    it may be the angle you took this, but it looks a bit of a steep incline on that bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. a great little bridge. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It´s simply sweet!
    Best regards from Argentina
    Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. A bridge is a bridge, and this one is so funny. My grandad once owned a bridge like this...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I see what you mean about getting swept up in the melody. It's a beautiful song and it really grabs you.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!