Monday, September 13, 2010

Surprises in the gardens

.
Let's stroll around the outdoor part of the Israel Museum in Jerusalem for our weekly tour meme, That's My World.

Half-hidden in the bushes is this 3rd century Samaritan sarcophagus.
Bulls' heads, a conch shell, garlands--beautiful what they carved in stone, eh?
It was discovered in Kfar Siris, near Jenin.
.
This marble lid of a Roman period sarcophagus was found in Caesaria.
According to the myth depicted, Zeus changed himself into a swan to ravish Leda, wife of the king of Sparta.
From their union, Helen of Troy was born, whose beauty was the cause of the Trojan War.
.
Too bad it is missing the upper part of the figures.
But, I guess you can't have everything . . . .
.
Ossuaries and sarcophagi are scattered all around the grounds.
I have a feeling they are the ones not perfect enough to be placed INSIDE the museum, but they make for delightful surprises when you find them.
.
It seems like even the form of these benches was inspired by the surrounding sarcophagi.
Enlarge the photo and take a close look. You think so?
.
Interment in these large stone coffins was widespread in the Mediterranean basin in the 2nd to 5th centuries CE.
This funerary custom was first practiced among pagans and was later also adopted by Jews, Christians, and Samaritans.
The Greek word sarcophagus means “flesh-eating.”
The sarcophagi were placed inside mausoleums or in rock-hewn burial caves.
.
And on that lively note we end the tour. ;-)
.

16 comments:

  1. Can you imagine all the work that went into hewing those from the rough stone by hand? That Samaritan one looks like a crown, and the Roman figures are so true to life...

    -----------------------------------
    My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aloha dina,

    these are so beautiful scenes, i enjoyed how the grounds contain all these historical pieces like they were accidentally found and left in that exact spot


    my tuesday tour of a hike to the lava on my sari blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew the meaning of the word before - interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! some amazing workmanship. The artistry is outstanding. It amazes me that they place these pieces outside. Thanks for the lovely tour

    An Arkies Musings

    ReplyDelete
  5. In this bunch of coffins (I am joking!) I definitely pick the last picture with four nice bench!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this interesting journey through time and life. Please have a good Tuesday.

    daily athens

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't realize that Helen of Troy was the result of the union of Leda and Zeus. That's so interesting. I've always been a sucker for Greek and Roman myths. I loved seeing all the sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. such amazing carvings - and so old. I live in such a young country, finding such antiquities is beyond my imagining.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dina, what a nice tour. The sarcophagus is interesting and all those carvings in the stone are really astonishing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos

    Have a nice week,
    Greetings, Bram

    My Word Tuesday post

    Seen on My World Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great place. Would like to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful sacorphagus. I wonder whose it might have been. Fancy having a woman's rape depicted on your grave...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic sarcophagus! This place must be something special.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah well, Zeus was mainly interested in the lower part of Leda anyway.
    Sarcophgi are such interesting memorials to other times.
    Nice post Dina.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My kind of tour. I love the ancient things.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sure is a surprise to find in a garden. Well made it has lasted a very long time, with unfortunately some damage but still it is impressive.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!