Thursday, December 23, 2010

Buy some zalabia pastry? Shoes?

.
For sale in the Old City: a mountain, illuminated from within, of the Arab pastry zalabia.
It is deep fried and Americans might call it funnel cake.
But zalabia has been around the Middle East for a thousand years.
The sugar- or honey-syrup is often dyed red or orange.
.
According to the Encyclopedia of Jewish Food, some Jews eat them during Chanuka and Purim.
.
Way too sweet and gooey for me, but this makes a colorful photo for Rob and Mandy's new Food for Thoughts meme over in Barcelona.
.

7 comments:

Leif Hagen said...

If you convince me that it's not radioactive, I'll try it!

Petrea said...

You know, I don't need any zalabia right now, nor do I need shoes. But do they have any whole bean coffee? Or maybe orange juice? I forgot a couple of things at the store.

Great picture, Dina. Your blog is an adventure!

Yaelian said...

Looks very nice, but it is not something I would put into my mouth;D

Kris said...

From the (almost) very bottom of the World down here in Tasmania, I wish you a very Merry Christmas/Yule/Jul/Winter Solstice/Summer Solstice/Amaterasu/Brumalia/ Deygān/Dōngzhì/Hanukkah/Hogmanay/Jonkonnu/Korochun/Kolyada/koleda/Wren day/Lenæa/Meán Geimhridh/Lohri/Midvinterblót/Modranicht/Mummer's Day/Rozhanitsa Feast/Şewy Yelda/Soyalangwul/Ziemassvētki/Āshūrā/Ras as-Sana al-Hijreya or whatever festival you choose to celebrate!

If you’re opting out this year, have a great time in the next few weeks and keep up the good work!

gigihawaii said...

Funny comments! I wouldn't mind nibbling at some of that! It reminds me of cotton candy made at carnivals.

Eki said...

They look very colorful and delicious (?). I don't mind the sweetness. Would love to try it.

VP said...

I wonder how many varieties of sugar pastries are there around the world... Creativity reaches its best with these very dangerous items!