Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Station X

.
For today's ABC Wednesday, let's take X as the Roman numeral for ten.

Station X of the Way of the Cross marks where Jesus reached Golgotha and was stripped of most of his garments by the Roman soldiers.
Enlarge this photo to enjoy the intricate stone carving from Crusader times.
Now it is glassed-in, but the entrance to the 10th Station was from the courtyard of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.
The flight of very steep stairs was originally built by the Crusaders as a way of giving pilgrims direct access to the chapels on Golgotha.

Here is a view, through the glass, of the Latin Chapel of the Agony of the Virgin.
.

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos of a place many of us will never see. Thank you, Dina.
    -- K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fascinating piece of a painful history
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is fantastic that the crusader craftwork survived. I am very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for taking us on a wonderful tour.

    Nathalie
    ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must digress, but when I saw "Station X" was a kind of church, my mind immediately switched to the St. Pancras Station in London, which is a station that looks like church.

    Impressive stonework!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once and then something I remember...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the views and details. The stone carvings from Crusader times are beautiful and I don't remember them from when I was there in person....it was too crowded and too much to see! Perhaps next time....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear friends, thanks for your impressions and "digressions."

    Sara, I think this chapel is almost never noticed by visitors. You cannot enter it. If not for the blog, I would not have climbed up those steep and narrow stairs to peek in. With no railing to steady you, coming down is kinda scary. It's higher than it looks.
    Even though it is now built over, you are actually climbing up the hill of Golgotha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous. I would love to explore every inch of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not only a creative X post, Dina, but amazing stone carvings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I stood right there and never noticed the wonderful carvings. Those Jerusalem tours whisk you around so quick - I must come back!

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!