Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Zero conflict

.
ABC Wednesday meme has come full circle to the letter Z.
I immediately thought to write about Zion or Zionism, of course. However, today certain other things came together to convince me to attempt something about . . . let's call it . . . zero conflict.
First, the July 14 entry in "Word from the Desert, Meditations on the Orthodox Life from the Early Church Fathers, Ascetics, Saints and Righteous," is this:
.
Two old men had lived together...
…in the desert for many years and had never quarreled. The first said to the other, “Let us also have a fight like other men do.” The other replied, “I do not know how to fight.” The first said to him, “Look, I will put a brick between us, and I will say it is mine, and you say, `No, it is mine,’ and so the fight will begin.” So they put a brick between them and the first said, “This brick is mine,” and the other said, “No, it is mine,” and the first responded, “If it is yours, take it and go” – so they gave it up without being able to find an occasion for an argument.
.

Don't you love the simple humility of the Desert Fathers (and Mothers)! ?
.
Beginning in the third century C.E. (=A.D.), these Christians fled to the deserts of Egypt and of the Holy Land to live as hermits.
.
In his post of July 13, "Walking with the Desert Fathers," an American rabbi on sabbatical in Israel shows and tells about his hike into hermit-land in Wadi Kelt and reflects on our own Jewish need for some desert solitude from time to time.
.
Do we not all seek that blessed but elusive state of zero conflict?
.

27 comments:

  1. If only zero conflict in this world were possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this post Dina. Zero conflict, such a simple concept but so difficult to attain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always loved the desert fathers.

    Thank you, my dear!

    Aloha-

    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Dina shalom(i hope i am right).....Zero conflict...if only it was possible....i found the story very nice...your posts have such high standards ...i salute your brilliance straight from my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wise post and wonderful message for us all. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As others have said, probably not possible on a worldwide scale, but we must strive for it even when those around us are not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes your posts are brilliant beautiful Dina.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am never sure I understand the need for becoming a desert wanderer or a hermit. The photo is nice. Reminds me of hand-made bricks with straw.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish we did, but many seem to revel in conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would happily live contentedly in a world with Zero conflict. As always such a different perspective on the the letter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zero conflict in indeed my dream, in particular for the part of the world you live in. I am afraid it might only come with the total eradication of the human race as preamble.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just LOVE that story, Dina. I wish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the story about the brick! I thought at first that it was going to escalate into a war, but I'm glad it didn't.

    Interesting post. Zero conflict would indeed be a wonderful achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The state of /zero/ confict -- now more than ever!
    happy Wednesday, Dina.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you very much for your message.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Desert Fathers were very wise; we all could learn from them. Thank you for another thoughtful post, Dina.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WELL DONE!!!!!

    So here goes another example:

    «(Sailor Girl) - My «Z» post for ABC Wednesday is better than yours.

    (Dina) - No, it is not. Mine is better than yours.

    (Sailor Girl) - Ok, you're right! Yours is better than mine!!»


    LOOOOOOLLLLLL!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I support zero conflict!
    I shall do this today...and tomorow and the day after that....
    I wrote it on my board.
    Thank you!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  19. Always a nice post.
    Hello Dina.
    Have a great day.
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  20. These two men must have walked on the pathways of wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A very plain photo to illustrate a message of wisdom (I agree with Abe lincoln)

    ReplyDelete
  22. If only everyone everywhere had such wisdom! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for this gentle reminder Dina. We do need more simplicity in our world. If only more people could think like the Desert Fathers. I believe that it's in most of us, we have just been clouded by the complexity of the modern world.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the story about the brick.
    Thank you for posting your Daily Photos. I've never been to Jerusalem, so it's so much fun to see it through your camera lens. Thank you for your comments on my blog http://gallow-photo-year.blogspot.com. They help me to improve my photography. I've got a lot to learn.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!