Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"Shukilida," a heart-warming ice cream place

.
The mid-day heat was oppressive, I was shlepping many kilos of fruit and vegetables on my back, the covered part of the Mahane Yehuda market was crowded and stuffy, I needed to drink more or to eat, quick . . .

When suddenly an angel in white appeared, offering free samples of ice cream!
But even more than the sweet cold treat, Tali's big smile and friendly way revived my spirits immediately.

It was new to me, this ice cream place, a great discovery.

Ice coffee looked inviting.
But so did the ice vanilla, passion fruit, mint lemonade, and the watermelon drink.

Yotam is the proprietor. You can feel how he loves his new business and loves what he is doing.
What a pleasure to see young people like Yotam and Tali who are enthusiastic about their work.

The idea behind this "magic machine" and of "custom blended ice cream" is that you can choose either yogurt or chocolate or vanilla ice cream and then choose what additions to blend into it.


Click to enlarge and you can read the imaginative names for the possible creations.
.
And to the left of the sign are the blessings for a place of business.
I was blessed by being able to sit down at the little counter [so clean!] inside and feel how the delicious ice cream was reviving me.
There is a table outside, if you prefer to people watch.

The name Shukilida is a clever combination of the Hebrew word shuk, meaning souk or market, and glida, meaning ice cream.
Even the card is cute, with an ice cream cone used as the letter i.
.
I wish Yotam lots of luck in this venture.
It is heart-warming to see a young Israeli who really cares about giving his best to his customers.
.

14 comments:

  1. oooohhhhh tiramisu, please :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ice cream dipped under a HAMSA or two. Yes, it's a real pleasure to find a place like this, but especially to meet young folks (or old!) like them... and You, Dina


    ShAloha from Waikiki, Sistah :)

    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  3. «Louis» is VERY picky about ice cream. He only likes 2 kinds:
    1) home made
    2) store bought

    Seeing as how this ice cream qualifies, he's over here hoping you'll e-mail him a few scoops...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ice cream is a quite complicate business, I see. Sometimes I get lost in the dozens of flavours I see around, then I often choose stracciatella.
    My best wishes to Yotam and Tali and to their wondeful Shukilida!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing better on a hot day . If the weathers continue like this I am sure they will have plenty of luck..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I could have some — they all look so yummy!

    Tali is a gorgeous young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post! The photos are so filled with wonderful tones and a joy to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! What a refreshing discovering for you on that hot day.

    Love the ice cream cone on the sign and business card, for both the letter "i" and the letter "vav" (or so I am guessing).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhhh... I'm ready to head on over your way, Dina. It was so hot today. Your post made me feeler cooler just imagining that wonderful ice cream and friendly people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmmmm
    i love nut hazzle ice creams
    and you

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!