Monday, October 4, 2010

The ramparts walk

.
The Old City of Jerusalem is enclosed by a 16th century wall that has seven gates.
.
Map is from Wikitravel


For our That's My World tour let's walk on top of the ramparts.

Like this little group is doing.
.
You might have to enlarge the photo to see them.
I zoomed in on the people from the roof of St. Louis Hospital, which is across the street from the Old City.
.
Here, the Turkish sultan invites you to his wall!
.
The Hebrew poster bids you, "Walk through layers of time."
.
The old sign tells us that an Arabic inscription on the Jaffa Gate reads thus:
"In the name of Allah, the merciful and compassionate, our lord the great sultan, monarch of the Byzantines, Arabs and Persians, Suleyman son of Selim Khan, may Allah perpetuate his kingdom, commanded that this blessed wall be constructed. In the year 945"
[ 945 of the Muslim Hejira calender, i.e. 1538 C.E.].
.
Just climb the spiral staircase, push through the turnstyle (which is actually on the roof of the Kishle police station), and start walking along and above the Armenian Quarter.
Then at the Jewish Quarter, you have to come down.
.
The other Ramparts Walk segment starts below the Damascus Gate and goes along the Muslim Quarter up to St. Stephen's Gate.
Sixteen shekels will buy you a ticket for both sides.
.
The length of the entire city wall is about 4 km or 2.5 miles.
But it is not possible to walk around the entire Old City atop the wall.
.
Yalla, are you coming up? This is one walk I don't wish to do alone.
I'll wait for you.
.

15 comments:

  1. I did that walk once, it was fun! You should definitely go do it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I don't know of this walk is somrthing I could do, because I am afraid of heights. On the other hand it must be a great experience! Thanks for showing these photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the walk to the Jewish quarter. Was very nice. Wish to do the other side soon. I think that one is not open in Fridays, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos, Dina! So many wonderful textures and contrasts in the captures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ben, glad you at least went. Now I will have to.

    Wil, yes, that could be a problem. But don't worry. There is plenty on the ground for you to see.

    Anumorchy, their website was not working earlier today. But now it is. http://www.pami.co.il/promenade.html in Hebrew only.
    And I see you are right. The walk toward the Muslim Quarter is not open on Fridays.

    Jew Wishes, thanks, I never thought about it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The website in English is not as detailed as the Hebrew version, but here it is --
    http://www.pami.co.il/eng/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your effort and the ability to take us with you on this journey.

    Please have a good Tuesday.

    daily athens

    ReplyDelete
  8. how interesting, one of the reasons I enjoy "My World", I can travel the world from the comfort of my kitchen chair. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much history. Very interesting. Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never been to this part of the world, but if I did I woudl lvoe to do that walk. So much history here that regardless of where you come from it would be an awe-inspiring place to visit. 16 shekels - about $4? That's pretty cheap compared to prices here to do tours of any kind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If we ever get to Jerusalem, we'll take the walk with you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did this, it was great but got sunburned... I still remember that on the Stork tower some other Livornese had already written: Pisa m...a!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the rampart walk! Used to bring groups of pilgrims.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know... I especially liked seeing that map explaining the quarters. I didn't quite picture what that was about before.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the ramparts walk taken nicely and leisurely with maybe a little lunch packed for a picnic along the way.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!