Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Solitary work atop Mt. Tabor

.
Restoration was supposed to be yesterday's R word, until I found out it was Rodin's birthday.
Rodin won, but the restoration in the Romanian church on the top of Mount Tabor in the Lower Galilee certainly deserves a post too, so here it is.


 There is a man working up there on the scaffold.
You'll have to do the click trick to see him, and then another click on the photo that opens to see the man really well.


I think it was the top (canopy?) of the throne (cathedra) that he was meticulously  painting.
He seemed aware that the saints on the dome above him were watching him work.


The Eastern Orthodox monastery  was built in the mid-19th century with funds from Romania.
The Church of St. Elias was dedicated to the prophet Elijah and was the first religious structure built by Romanian Christians in the Holy Land.

The wall paintings (all around!) were added in 1912

The Orthodox place is totally different in feeling and appearance from its more famous neighbor on Mt. Tabor Barluzzi's Church of the Transfiguration.

 A Catholic friend took me there in August for the Franciscan Mass on the Feast of the Transfiguration.
I'll show you more pictures from the mountain sometime soon.
.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful art work! The young man looks very serious. Does he have to be certified to do this restoration work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Restoration work is fascinating. Don't have the patience it requires. I'm surprised that this relatively new building already requires restoration. Thanks for this peek into another world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eki, I don't know.

    Oakland DP, shalom. Maybe I used the wrong word, maybe "restoration" is too big. The work is not on the building itself. What I saw was only the repainting of the gold color on the wood you see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful church and paintings. Good for R

    ReplyDelete
  5. stunning!
    thanks for your help on following you.
    I simply had not noted the ADD button! sad me...lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is always interesting to see these people at work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shabbat shalom!What a colourful church, Dina!Very beautiful! Hope everything is okay with you! Do you still see the sisters? I had two young people from Australia staying with me. They were 18 years old. The boy has grandparents in Israel where he stayed some time. His mother is a friend of my daughter in Australia.These two young people are very serious and interested in culture and history. Good company!

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!