Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Happy Waitangi Day to New Zealand

.
City Daily Photo bloggers are helping our New Zealand members celebrate their national day, Waitangi Day.
You can see what connections different bloggers have to New Zealand at the CDP portal
My own fondness for NZ is based on Middle-earth and Hobbits and such . . . .


 But Jerusalem's big link to New Zealand is, sadly, in the [British] Jerusalem War Cemetery on Mt. Scopus.
Every April I attend the ANZAC Day Commemoration Service there.

(The photos here can be much enlarged with two clicks.) 

The World War I Australian and New Zealand Army Corps soldiers were welcomed by the Jewish population as liberators in Jerusalem in 1917, having fought their way from Egypt, through the Sinai, Gaza,  Beersheva, up to Jerusalem.

The Memorial Chapel was erected by men of the Egyptian Expeditionary Forces "to the honoured memory of their comrades who fell in the Palestine Campaign 1914-1918.


Above the lintel quoting the Apocrapha Book of Maccabees, it says "The interior has been decorated by NEW ZEALAND in honour of the members of the NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE who took part in the operations in Sinai and Palestine 1916-1918."


"From the uttermost ends of the earth" -- yes, how true.
Represented are Hope, Humanity, Faith, and Patriotism.
.
Happy Waitangi Day, Kiwi friends.
We thank your ancestors who died fighting here in the Holy Land.   May you never know war again.
.
To learn more about ANZAC Day in Jerusalem and about the lovingly-tended big  cemetery of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission on Mt. Scopus, please see my posts here, here, here, and here.
Or click on my label ANZAC Day. 
.

10 comments:

  1. Nice one,a very fitting tribute Dina.
    p.s I must admit I always remember the magnificent scenery as shown in Lord of the Rings when I think of NZ..must get there one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did it. You found the flag I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad, but a lovely tribute.

    We share the same fondness about NZ. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first time I learned about ANZAC was watching Peter Weir's Gallipoli...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fascinating, I know so little of this chapter in history (like VP, main exposure was from the film Gallipoli). Sad but beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos and Happy Waitangi Day to all..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let us hope as you write that they never know war again.. Great picture and post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful and informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am Australian, so I think of Britain as mum and New Zealand as younger brother. We go to beautiful New Zealand on holidays as often as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We did go to where that treaty was signed. I'll send you a photo. We LOVED New Zealand!!!

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!