Tuesday, October 1, 2013

A lot for less

.

My family will be arriving from Australia on Saturday night!
I wanted to welcome them back with what we call kol tuv ha-aretz,  all the best our land has to offer.
So I took the 45-minute bus ride into Beersheva and wandered around the big shuk (what the English map calls the Town Market, not to be confused with the Bedouin Market).
I found the best of the produce and bought a little of each kind.

Unpacked on my kitchen table, it doesn't LOOK like a lot.


The fruits and vegetables and nuts  looked more voluminous when still in bags.


I can assure you they weighed a ton when I shlepped them in two tote bags and in my backpack from the shuk to the bus  and then from the corner bus stop to my house.
It was almost my limit.
But I was happy to be a good provider for my grandkids, at least for their first day or two in Israel.
And the price was right (at least when compared to the inflated supermarket prices in Meitar).
At the shuk you always get A LOT FOR LESS (which is good because today is L Day at ABC Wednesday)!



15 comments:

  1. Nothing better than luscious fresh produce. Carver, ABC Wed. Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the rainbow colors! And I love the word schlep!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you to have all the fresh vegetables near you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fabulous selection, enjoy the family feast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colourful and lovely display on top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly are a good provider, not only for your grandchildren but also for your blogging friends who had visited you in the past!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very nice post, the fruit and vegetables on your table really look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a nice tradition. I love going to markets like farmer's markets. You get such wonderful things, so fresh. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  9. A colourful and lovely selection, Dina, you are a great grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karl, you mean I am a very good grandmother (thanks!), but I am not old enough to be a great grandmother, eine Urgroßmutter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A yummy welcome for your family, all the best we have--I really like that phrase.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great healty L! Packaged in these cute bags in all sorts of colors.

    I'm glad your family come to Israel for a long while. All the best to you and them:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes Dina, ich meinte "großartige Großmutter" :-)
    Allerdings wünsche ich Dir auch dass Du, eines Tages..., eine großartige Urgroßmutter wirst :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so awesome, Dina. I know you must all be enjoying the fruits of your labor right now. I'm so excited for you all! I hope they aren't too jet lagged today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks so delicious, a nice welcome home for your beloved family.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!