Sunday, November 3, 2013

Alone in the cemetery

.

With many Christians marking All Saints' Day and then All Souls' Day this weekend, and with some countries celebrating the Day of the Dead at cemeteries,  I as a Jew felt a bit left out.
So I walked over to our  small Meitar cemetery, just to see  it for the first time.

There was a fresh burial, very moving, not expected.

I was the only living soul in the graveyard.
The sun set, the light faded, and a chill set in.
In the distance I heard  the automatic metal gate squeak  as it rolled shut across the entrance road.
. . .
But here I am,  blogging; so you know I found a way out and made it home.
.

7 comments:

  1. Good composition.

    I started researching for writing a novel set partially in that part of the world, and was intrigued by the funeral rites in Israel, including the tendency towards horizontal gravestones...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so sad when we lose somebody, and we're sad for anyone else who does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad, and with the gate squeaking at dusk... creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good you find the way out.
    I do not know anything about these celebrations.
    However, all the graves I have to visit is too far from where I live

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a kid we lived near a cemetery and we played among the tombstones a lot ... kind of a scary/sad place,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to go to my husband's grave on Monday but it was raining all the time.
    I am looking forward to seeing your post about the dead sea scrolls. You know more about it than I, who get all the information from Google.
    Have a great week!
    Wil.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a sad, melancholy post, Dina. I'm glad you made it home to be able to blog this, too.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!