Friday, March 4, 2016

Never climb THIS tree

.

Meitar has several of these spiky trees and they are the strangest trees in town.
Please enlarge the photo to see just how pointy those pointy things are. 


Look at those big "cotton" balls!


The other side still has mostly the green pods.
By August big yellow flowers will suddenly be here.
And here is a picture of the trees in late March, at the center of a roundabout.

Readers advised me that this is the silk floss tree (Ceiba speciosa), a.k.a. palo borracho, Spanish for "drunken stick."
.

9 comments:

  1. Drunken stick? It's an interesting tree- as forbidding as the close details look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos Dina. What happens to the cotton balls?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silk floss and cotton balls? I am with Alice... where textiles ever made from these tree-products?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if those cotton balls can be used for something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems that Israel and Southern California often share the same odd looking plant life. It's that Mediterranean climate I guess. When I first learned the name of these thorny specimens I was surprised they have such a soft and smooth name as "Silk Floss Tree." It seems counter intuitive. But "drunken stick" is even more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I looked back at your first shot of this tree Dina and I reckon if Jose says it is a Silk floss tree then that's what it is, he knows his plants :) Goodness it looks incredible when in flower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I won't climb. Not that I climb trees very often... :-) It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never seen a tree like this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I must say that is one of the strangest looking trees I've ever seen Dina. The Cotton Ball flowers look stunningly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!