Sunday, December 4, 2016

A water buffalo farm, in Switzerland!

.

A farm full of water buffalo -- in northern Switzerland! 


I found it while staying the last few days at Sonnenhof, the French-speaking Community of Grandchamp's "branch" over in the German-speaking part of Switzerland.
One of the nun-friends walked me up the mountain to see the impressive  water buffalo.


The youngsters still have stubby horns.


We saw no one around to ask, but we are assuming these animals are raised for milk and maybe also meat.
The best mozzarella cheese is made from water buffalo milk. 


I had fun posing with the big tightly-wrapped hay bales.
You can see one of the farm houses in the background.
.
(Linking to Camera-Critters meme.)
.

5 comments:

  1. I liked the photo of you Dina , the hay bales are almost as tall as you . Are these hay bales used to feed the water buffalo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. William, I think so too.

    Alice, I imagine the hay is fed to the water buffalo during the Swiss winter when snow covers the pasture. Assuming it IS hay. We're doing a lot of assuming about this farm . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which ones will you fondly call Briggs and Stratton? <3 <3

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!