Monday, March 10, 2008

Give it a whorl



The new neighbors across the street are into permaculture.
Today their young helper built this fascinating garden spiral.

Can you believe, I had never seen such a thing (guess I've been away from Heifer Ranch too long); so I was all questions.
Here's what I learned.
This method combines many permaculture design principles. The base is rubble; this will give some air movement beneath the mound. The height of the raised bed and the placement of the stones create a range of niches and microclimates which can sustain many different kinds of plants.

This one might become an herb spiral. Come back later to see what's growing.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if we can manage to do this in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay, with all you two have managed to build in Hawaii so far, I believe there is nothing you can't do. Maybe you can build the spiral with volcanic rocks? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm.... volcanic rocks? I'll have to mention it to my private gardener (my brother).

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!