Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Jacob sheep

.

Are there days you too feel like this ewe? She lives in the Jerusalem Biblical Zoo.
With all those horns, it must be a Jacob sheep. It's an ancient breed, thousands of years old, named after the patriarch Jacob.
In his bargain with Laban, Jacob used highly original methods to achieve spotted lambs and kids. In fact, the story in Genesis 30 is thought to be the earliest record of selective breeding. Give it a read or a reread--you're sure to get a kick out of it.

4 comments:

  1. You really live in a most interesting place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dina:

    I was intorduced to your blog by Aviva Hellerstein who I met just yesterday when we had coffee. She sends her love.

    I lived in Jerusalem for nine years and worked at the Biblical Zoo for six of those years. I worked in the Hospital/clinic section.

    I lived part of that time in Moshav Ora. It sounds like we might have been neighbors.

    I returned to Indianapolis, Indiana in 2003, but do so miss my beloved Israel.

    It is so nice to see these pictures

    I have an archeologist friend, Sherry Whetstone. Wonder if you have met?

    I would love to hear from you.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do they have those huge heavy tails like the Egyptian sheep? And I wonder why the four horns? Surely two are plenty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahalan Maryanne,
    Uhh, the photo is from the wrong direction for me to know if it's a fat-tailed sheep. I'll just have to go to the zoo again and check!
    Some Jacobs even have 6 horns. Why? Ours not to reason why.
    They do look weird.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!