Sunday, August 10, 2008

Reading Lamentations of Jeremiah

.
Today is Tisha B'Av, the day of mourning for the destruction of Jerusalem and of the First and Second Temples, for the beginning of the first Crusade, for the expulsion of the Jews from Spain in 1492, and for other tragedies and pogroms that began on this 9th day of Av throughout our history.
It is customary to have a communal reading of the scroll of Lamentations, in Hebrew Eicha.
.
Instead of going to the local synagogue and sitting in the balcony behind a curtain in the women's section, I went alone to another place much prayed in, sat on the old stone floor, and read the Lamentations of Jeremiah by candlelight.
There, in silence and solitude, the words of the great prophet spoke to me as never before. So sad, so powerful, so moving!
Only in Jerusalem do the words come alive so much.
.

"How lonely sits the city that was full of people! How like a widow has she become, she that was great among the nations! . . . She weeps bitterly in the night, tears on her cheeks. . . ."

I urge you to sample the language and the mood of this 5-chapter book of the Bible. It can be found here.

.

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. I love how you chose to do it in your own quiet way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sad day of reflection for you. I wish you peace and love,
    Dina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really good blog. I will read you in the future
    steven

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an exquisite photo, Dina. I am so moved by your photos and commentary straight from the Holy Land. How I would love to visit that place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been to synagogue for years to hear Eicha, because I always have a little one at home to watch. Last night I tried to read on my own, and I fell asleep...maybe I'll try again now. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter and I had been discussing Tisha B'Av all weekend and by now it is over for you and nearly for us. Thanks for sharing about this sad, moving time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do have a way of sharing that is very respectful, yet informative. Thank you Dina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice photo, full of moral feelings. You wrote impressive Dina.

    Thanks for your answer Dina. We call him Korosh in Persian language. Have you ever heard of Pasargad, where the tomb of Korosh is located?
    Visit this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasargad

    Dina, I personally believe that there is no difference between a temple, a synagogue, a church and a mosque. In all of these places, people pray the God: a same purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. a very profound way to read the lamentations

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find the beginning of Eicha very moving.
    I to read it on my own but at home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very touching and the way you chose to read the words made them even more heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Finding our own way to connect with the holy is, I believe, the deepest, most moving way. I'm moved by your post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "28 Let him sit alone and keep silence, because He hath laid it upon him.
    כט יִתֵּן בֶּעָפָר פִּיהוּ, אוּלַי יֵשׁ תִּקְוָה. 29 Let him put his mouth in the dust, if so be there may be hope.
    ל יִתֵּן לְמַכֵּהוּ לֶחִי, יִשְׂבַּע בְּחֶרְפָּה. {ס} 30 Let him give his cheek to him that smiteth him, let him be filled full with reproach. {S}
    לא כִּי לֹא יִזְנַח לְעוֹלָם, אֲדֹנָי. 31 For the Lord will not cast off for ever."

    Humility, is what I glean from Lamentations. What grace humility is.

    Nice post and beautiful photo Dina.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!