Monday, May 23, 2011

Creepy crawlies

Enlarge to see the surprising details.
.
Every time I walk through Mamilla Avenue (the mall), I find more sculptures have been added to the Bible Stories exhibition.
Here, for That's My World, is a new one.
.
The face created by Yael Erlichman is on the wall next to the Ahava (Dead Sea cosmetics) store.
Its inspiration came from Genesis 1:20 --

And God said, "Let the waters bring forth swarms of living creatures . . .
So God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarm . . .
And God saw that it was good.
And God blessed them, saying, "Be fruitful and multiply and fill the waters in the seas" . . . .
.
Only at this time, 7:30 a.m., is Mamilla Mall so empty. Later in the day and all evening it is packed.
All the black boxes you see, and about a hundred more that you don't see, have sculptures on them.
The Bible Stories theme is going on until October.
.

14 comments:

  1. What's that coming out of the statue's nose - eek! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes... this is the stuff of my nightmares... luckily I seldom have any.:-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos.Thanks for showing me your world so intimately with your photos and stories. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! I'd look pretty unhappy too if I had creepy crawlies all over me and something else crawling out of my nose! Yikes...

    -----------------------------------
    My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic idea about the sculptures.

    A 'Medusa' indeed. Please have you all a good Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting sculpture..... Looks grouchy. Thanks for sharing! Here is my entry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a happy statue, but a very interesting post, Dina.
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although the meaning is different, the statue reminds me a little of Medusa, the Greek mythical goddess. The empty street makes an mysterious scene … I can image it being filled with people later!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Folks, relax! It's only a nose-ring, as far as I can see. In Hebrew, a nezem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This work is a bit scary but quite effective! It reminds me of one of my favorite Ahava products, a shampoo I bought in quantity then!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that's a great sculpture. The person crowned with octopuses looks very unhappy. At first I thought it was one of the green men I posted about, but then I thought it was Medusa, for she must have felt as unhappy as this person. Thanks for this image and the bible verses.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do not like the thing in the nose:-)
    But I like Ahava!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that is a very interesting piece of sculpture!

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!