Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The southern wall

.
It was 8 o'clock in the morning but already a line of tourist buses was parked along the southern wall of the Old City.
The driver stands and waits for the guide to bring their group out from the nearby Dung Gate.
.
Across the street from the same bench is a barbed-wired wall with an old sign of UNRWA.
.
But sitting on the bench you would have this view--the old Turkish city wall and on top of what we call the Temple Mount, al Aksa mosque.
.
The city is currently building ways to walk inside the Ophel antiquities at the base of the wall.
The sign said "Maslul HaMikvaot--HaOphel," meaning The Mikva Route.
Should be interesting!
.
P.S. For those who enjoyed yesterday's post about doner kebab etc. --I added a comedy skit.
Thanks to daughter Naomi for this funny Armstrong & Miller video about the Neanderthal origins of shwarma!
.

8 comments:

  1. Nice benches to take a rest or have a look at all the tourists.

    Ps: The city Slavutich in Kiev oblast was built to replace the abandoned Pripyat.

    Happy Thursday to you:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure it must be. Thank you for bringing close this walk. One can't wait for you to discover its content.

    Please have a good Thursday you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's exciting...so many new things to see since 1995...I really MUST think about making it over there again before too long! It's fun to visit in your photos, but so much better in person....

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello beautiful Dina, the greatest part of history is written in stone, I love this stone writing of yours.
    that was a weird thing to say haha. Well I am not responsible for what I say- it is automatic writing. haha.
    anyway for the preceding post you have described this little restaurant across the narrow street of where I just moved from .Oh the nights I watched them carve the meat.
    I am a night spirit, when I get a chance I sleep throughout the day and I am up all evening.
    There is not too much accessible at 2:30 in the morning so I would cross over to this small arabic restaurant which was open.
    the nice people to chat with and the gratefulness of purchasing a chocolate milk at 2;30 am, haha.

    shalom
    love and light
    thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, Dina. I'll check out that video tomorrow when I can make noise. It's late. Good night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This wonderful bench will be obviously drafted in aBoB. I am glad that they are building a better acces to this zone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shalom friends and thanks for your thoughts on this.

    Kay, don't you have earbuds?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is too too funny. I wish Art were awake so I could show him. I'll have to remember tomorrow. This is really a great skit.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!