Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Cement to build a nation

.

I am always fascinated when seeing the Nesher factory from afar.
At night it is lit up like a big city.


"The company's flagship plant in Ramle near Tel Aviv is one of the world's largest and leading factories in terms of production capacity, advanced production technology and preserving the environment," their website says.
"During 80 years the company has produced 125 million tons of cement, which among other things, has been used in the construction of 4 million homes."
Nesher has three factories in Israel.
"Nesher supplies most of the cement needs of Israel and the Palestinian Authority and also exports cement and clinker."

Clinker? Who every heard of clinker?  Not me.
.
For ABC Wednesday,  T is for tons and tons of cement.
.
And I just clicked on Nesher's Hebrew website and found they offer tours for families and groups during Chanuka vacation!
Register at http://www.nesher.co.il/visit_center.htm
During the whole year 2013 some 26,000 came to their Visitors Center.

10 comments:

  1. Clink, clink, clink... It's huge.

    Love that mural yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a LOT of cement!





    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite impressive. Some of the structural details reminds me of a factory complex I worked security at for a couple of summers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet it looks very pretty at night all lit up like a city. In Long Beach all the oil refineries are like that at night, much nicer than daytime. I guess clinker is some sort of cement product but to me it is slang for jail. As in "throw him in the clinker!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. TONS of cement; hard to fathom.

    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder how many houses or other buildings could be made of this amount of cement. It is difficult to imagine!
    For the time being, I wish you a peaceful, happy week, Dina!
    Wil, ABCW Team

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clinker, that's funny.
    I thought Nesher was the cab company that brought you from Tel Aviv to J'lem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had an important cement factory here, but it closed down years ago...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clinker to us when growing up was the hard coal/rock that would not burn and was left behind in the fireplace --not cinders, that was soft and ashy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is much cement!
    I've actually made cement last year when I helped Dan create the new porch.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!