Friday, April 16, 2010

First and only Palestinian beer

.
Shabbat shalom. I just came home from a great barbeque at a friend's garden.
Must have been forty people there celebrating our mutual friend's birthday.

It was my first time to see (and drink) Taybeh beer.
Taybeh means delicious in Arabic, and it was!

The Wikipedia article about this beer says that it "follows a classic style of the way monks brewed beer in the Middle Ages in order to fortify themselves during their fasting."
.
Taybeh Brewery is a Palestinian brewery founded in 1994 by brothers Nadim and David Khoury and their father Canaan.

Taybeh is a Christian Arab village in the West Bank, 20 miles north of Jerusalem.

You can take a video tour of the brewing process and meet Khoury at their website.
.
It made me happy, both having one bottle and thinking that here was a Palestinian initiative that succeeded.
.
UPDATE 2013: They are doing well and the beer is now sold in Japan and Germany and maybe soon in the USA.
See the brewery and the town in this video .
.
UPDATE Jan. 22, 2014: They starting making white beer now, too.  See http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/First-White-Beer-Reaches-the-Palestinian-Market-339029
.
.

8 comments:

  1. I wouldn't mind having that beer!!! Can you compare it favorably with other beers you have tried? Is it light or heavy or what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoy the barbeque and the good beer, Dina. As for me, sometimes I drink beer, I don't like wine because it's too heavy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honor to the Koury brothers for their enterprise. They got the right name for their brand, I don't know if they do export, but I hope to see these bottles somewhere soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BBQ + Beer + Friends. Perfect combination. Cheers Dina...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers! Skal! Here's to a Happy Birthday to your friend! I tried to reach one of these beers through my computer screen but it didn't work! Zut alors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the photo you took of the bottle. If they were smart, they would buy your photograph and use it in their marketing.

    Shabbat Shalom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer! You take one down, pass it around, you've got 98 bottles of beer on the wall..."
    hic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a beer lover I would like to try it! :-)

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!