Thursday, April 29, 2010

Root balls on Jaffa Road

.
For a long, long time Jerusalem's main street, old Jaffa Road, has been torn up [as in my post from November 2008].
Vehicle traffic was reduced to one congested lane and pedestrians had to walk just about single file along what remained of the sidewalk. Stores suffered.


Yesterday, in front of the Generali Building I was glad to see the street flat again, with the tracks for the future light rail already laid, and lots of room to walk.
.
Look! We are even going to get trees!
I hope someone makes places to plant them before their root balls dry up.
.
There were no workers in sight. Oi, hope no one grabs that axe!
.

11 comments:

  1. I was involved in the early planning stages of this project many lifetimes ago, it's very gratifying to see it finally coming to fruition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin, thanks for your (I'm sure, excellent) contribution to this huge project. I can't begin to tell you what a difference I felt yesterday. The sudden opening up and expansiveness of the sidewalk, even though it is still a work in progress, made my whole spirit expand. Jaffa Street now has a totally different feel. And once the tram is up and running, it's all going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Professor Dina : - )

    I saw some trucks hauling trees to be planted along a street near us this morning on my way into the office! DRATS - I didn't have my camera with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Safe Leif, a blogger without his camera is like . . . (complete this sentence).
    I'll bet your trees get planted sooner than ours.
    (And please, you can drop the "Prof." LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...a blogger without his camera is like a camera without film (nowadays memorycard). I hope the trees get planted before they are axed, if I can say so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jorgen, haha, good one about the camera!
    I'm glad it was the trees that you worried about getting axed. I had more sinister fears.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I leave my camera at home only at night, I would have missed many interesting scenes without it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a nightmare when you have this kind of work in the area where you live or work or have to walk everyday, but it's rewarding when it's over and you enjoy what has been done. There ALWAYS are big works like this in Lisbon, it's crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, when I saw this I thought you had a fallen tree, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope they plant them soon, trees are so beautiful, what would the world look like without?

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!