Thursday, December 23, 2010

Buy some zalabia pastry? Shoes?

.
For sale in the Old City: a mountain, illuminated from within, of the Arab pastry zalabia.
It is deep fried and Americans might call it funnel cake.
But zalabia has been around the Middle East for a thousand years.
The sugar- or honey-syrup is often dyed red or orange.
.
According to the Encyclopedia of Jewish Food, some Jews eat them during Chanuka and Purim.
.
Way too sweet and gooey for me, but this makes a colorful photo for Rob and Mandy's new Food for Thoughts meme over in Barcelona.

UPDATE Dec. 2019: More about the sweet:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jalebi
.

7 comments:

  1. If you convince me that it's not radioactive, I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I don't need any zalabia right now, nor do I need shoes. But do they have any whole bean coffee? Or maybe orange juice? I forgot a couple of things at the store.

    Great picture, Dina. Your blog is an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very nice, but it is not something I would put into my mouth;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the (almost) very bottom of the World down here in Tasmania, I wish you a very Merry Christmas/Yule/Jul/Winter Solstice/Summer Solstice/Amaterasu/Brumalia/ Deygān/Dōngzhì/Hanukkah/Hogmanay/Jonkonnu/Korochun/Kolyada/koleda/Wren day/Lenæa/Meán Geimhridh/Lohri/Midvinterblót/Modranicht/Mummer's Day/Rozhanitsa Feast/Şewy Yelda/Soyalangwul/Ziemassvētki/Āshūrā/Ras as-Sana al-Hijreya or whatever festival you choose to celebrate!

    If you’re opting out this year, have a great time in the next few weeks and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny comments! I wouldn't mind nibbling at some of that! It reminds me of cotton candy made at carnivals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look very colorful and delicious (?). I don't mind the sweetness. Would love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder how many varieties of sugar pastries are there around the world... Creativity reaches its best with these very dangerous items!

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!