Friday, December 14, 2012

Cloister watch

.

 For readers who asked what one would see from the bench in my previous post, I'll add a few pictures.
Basically you see the four sides of the cloister of the Church of the Redeemer.
They surround a small courtyard with a few trees and flowers, and some ancient archaeological elements are strewn around.
Enlarge the photo to find the opening to the old cistern.


Towering above is the bell tower, the tallest in the Old City.
For a closer view of it see BibleWalks, or  see it here lit up by dynamic illumination during the annual summer Jerusalem Light Festival.

This church, built over ancient ones, was completed in 1898.


The dome of the Redeemer Church is also visible from the cloister.

And the little patch of sky above it is going to this week's SkyWatch Friday.
.
Shabbat shalom, happy 7th candle of Chanuka, and happy new moon/Rosh Chodesh.
.

12 comments:

  1. I like this place and your pictures.

    Happy weekend Dina:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all the greenery, reaching up for the light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place. i have a soft spot for arches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an oasis. Would certainly spend a long, long time there. Please have a good weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cloisters and trees are lovely. I suppose a cloister was supposed to be a restful place, perfect for quiet contemplation. So this was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was about to say, "What a beautiful place. I have a soft spot for arches," then I saw that tapirgal had already said it. I think I'm so original!

    But it's true. It's beautiful, and I love the arches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful place, Dina. It looks so peaceful and serene.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was "some ancient archaeological elements are strewn around" that got me.

    Love the stone! And the stacked chairs in your previous post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A bench with a really nice view...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was my church when I lived there! Thanks for bringing back so many wonderful memories. I especially remember the church bells echoing off of the Jerusalem stone. Love it.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!