Sunday, May 1, 2016

"Being present with a whiff of cardamom"

.

Come into Jerusalem's Old City spice shop, a pleasure to the nose and eye.
What here is labeled "coffee spice" is cardamon.
 Ahh, so fragrant when added to Turkish coffee, and healthy for the heart too.

I enjoyed this article which says
"Frequent mentions of mindfulness — slapping the word on every object and practice — don’t make us more mindful. “People have this magical belief in words as if they’re incantations. The more people use it, the less you’re distinguishing yourself from anyone else,” says [linguist Geoffrey] Nunberg, who views mindfulness as “being present with a whiff of cardamom.”
[Italics are mine!]

See how other bloggers illustrate "Smell," our May Theme Day subject, over at City Daily Photo portal.
.

13 comments:

  1. I can smell the spices . Like the photo. Dina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post about cardamom! It has a delightful smell. This mindfulness I can grasp. Particularly good in baked goodies...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a spice drawer in our house, which the 2.5 yo often gets into. Our house then smells like a bazaar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vividly recall similar images in markets in India. Your choice is perfect for the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not had the opportunity to shop spices this way. It certainly is appealing and I can imagine what a wonderful blended smell cardamom and coffee would be...something I must try. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not know cardammom is god for your heart. Red wine is. And I often smell cardammom in it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If we were blindfolded and could only detect all those spices by smell, almost everyone would select the cardamon correctly. Magic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A good take on the theme. I can't recall the scent of cardamon off hand, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This image makes me think of walking into Kakulas Bros. here Dina, the spice aroma is heavenly.. So you see I can actually smell your shot here :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It has to be a fantastic place for smelling. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can only imagine how wonderful those spices must smell. Lovely image.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!