Monday, July 11, 2011

Birthday blessings

.
"Isha," meaning "a woman," stands in the Mamilla Mall.
.
Artist Ruth Agmon quotes the first blessing we Jews say every morning, even before rising from bed:
מודה אני לפניך מלך חי וקים שהחזרת בי נשמתי בחמלה, רבה אמונתך
Modeh ani lifanekha melekh ḥai v'kayam sheheḥezarta bi nishmahti b'ḥemlah, rabah emunatekha.
I offer thanks before you, living and eternal King, for you have mercifully restored my soul within me; great is your faithfulness.

This statue reminds me of a tall slim friend who lived in and loved Israel for many years.
Sr. Claire-Irene, wise and wonderful, celebrates her 80th birthday today back at the motherhouse in Switzerland.
Happy birthday, ma soeur!
.

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely statue...I love it.

    We must offer thanks, whenever we can, not just the mornings, but of course, the mornings are a must.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very beautiful and humble statue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful and evocative sculpture. Somewhat sad it makes me but I love the prayer that goes with it.

    Mamilla is certainly teaming with art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful blessing, and a very graceful sculpture. I tried to pronounce the Hebrew; then I read the transliteration....and then the translation....I've got such a long way to go if I ever want to really read and understand Hebrew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bon anniversaire à soeur Clair-Irene.

    This kind of reminds me of Giacometti.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice statue and what a beautiful words to say every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello beautiful Dina, there is so much poignant adoration in this work that renders the woman so tall but humble before her God!

    love and light
    shalom

    ReplyDelete
  8. and the prayer is also beautiful, humble but elevated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is bit too much slim even for our times...
    Happy Birthday to sister Irene!

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!