Monday, November 1, 2010

The tram, the tram!

.
I really got a charge out of this scene today!
The electric company had two trucks on the Herzl Street tram rails, and in each cherrypicker were two workers.
They were connecting the overhead wires that will power the new tram. Yay!
.
It was so exciting that I got off the bus midway to the shuk in order to take pictures.
.
A few hours later I was on the bus coming back from the market.
Suddenly I looked out the window and saw empty light rail cars sitting on the tracks!
My first time to see them in person!!


Are they not sleek and beautiful?!

They were parked just beyond the Bridge of Strings.
I suspect they will be tested on the bridge tonight, maybe, I hope . . .
.
Two weeks ago, starting at midnight, a tram went on the bridge for the first time, but not on its own power.
The Jerusalem Post reported that "A specially-designed truck pushed the first train over the span, allowing exact measurements to be taken. They were 'static tests,' allowing the engineers to measure weight and stress on the structure.
It took a full two hours for the first train to cross, as engineers stopped every meter to take readings and make sure all was running smoothly."
.
With the electric lines that were hooked up today, the next trial run can be dynamic tests instead of static tests.
.
That's today's progress for That's My World Tuesday.
P.S. On the truck in the first photo is written chashmal.
I posted once about how modern Hebrew adopted this word from the prophet Ezekiel's mystical vision.
.

22 comments:

  1. Hurray!!!! (And dare I say it's about damn time?)

    -----------------------------------
    My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Wonderful I think! I remember they where digging..looking forward to see them in real life:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound exciting, Dina... and yes, those are sleep and modern looking trains! [I joined the CDP fun yesterday... and hope you don't mind my linking to you!]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are beautiful trains or engines and cars. I think they are as beautiful as those in France or Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin, now now, be patient. Just because the tram is 4 years behind schedule . . .

    Spiderdama, starting in April you may be able to ride the tram. Yes, they have been digging our streets for years.

    Francisca, I'm honored by your link to Jerusalem Hills. Your public transport post from Nepal is amazing.

    Abe, shalom. I think they actually are made in France.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny they test the bridge. And what would they do if it is not strong enough? Pull it down or what?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How far will the new system extend

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being an Australian, of course I am totally in favour of trams and light trains going into every important city in the world. My only concern is the Jerusalem streets - are they suitable?

    Trams rock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are years ahead of us!
    We are still arguing over rapid transit, and will probably not get sleek cars like those. Mazel Tov!



    Aloha from Honolulu

    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always a safe ride ahead for you. It is indeed the most used vehicle over here, at least for me.

    Please have a wonderful Tuesday.

    daily athens

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice and cool looking trams. A great method of transportation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds cool.
    That bridge structure sure is interesting

    ReplyDelete
  13. OUi! Very sleek and seem to be very FAST! Our city has nothing this wonderful.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent! Those trams certainly do look futuristic. I wish they'd put together some public transportation in my city.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so exciting. Hawaii is planning to have a rail system, too. If they can only get their act together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful brand-new modern trams, I understand your enthusiasm, Dina!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are running very elegant French Citadis cars, even newer than the ones in Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an exciting time for you. I do hope your trams work better than our new ones built in Germany where the airconditioner broke down in the height of summer because it was too hot outside!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mo, the route is from Pisgat Zeev neighborhood in the north of Jerusalem, continuing along Yekutiel Adam St., the Shuafat neighborhood, Bar-Lev Boulevard ( Road No. 1), Hatzanchanim St., Jaffa Road, the Central Bus Station, Herzl Boulevard, and terminating at Mt. Herzl.
    Hopefully someday the light rail will be extended closer to my village, i.e. from Mt. Herzl to Hadassah Ein Kerem.

    More answers soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Exciting stuff Dina. They look great I am sure in the scheme of life four years is nothing. Bet it will make getting around eassier Trams are the way to go. XXX dON

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, they are beautiful and I also like the perspective of the bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Friends, thanks for your comments, all so interesting.

    Anumorchy, I remember reading, several years ago, that the Calatrava bridge was the first curved, suspended, and train-carrying bridge in the world. Or maybe the only. Let's hope is works!

    Hels, well, Jaffa Street is slated to become a pedestrian mall so the tram will be on its own. Sometimes the tracks are in the middle and sometimes on the side of the streets.
    Let's hope the pedestrians, kids, drivers, and bike riders will know how to co-exist with the tram.

    Arija, that reminds me, they started building the track foundations with a special machine brought from Switzerland but it broke down, not suitable for Israel's ground.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!